Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Virginia Tries Again... Sort of... HB 303...


HB 303 Health insurance; mandated coverage for autism spectrum disorder. 



Health insurance; mandated coverage for autism spectrum disorder.  Requires health insurers, health care subscription plans, and health maintenance organizations to provide coverage for the diagnosis and treatment of autism spectrum disorder in individuals from the date of diagnosis until they reach 10 years of age.  This requirement does not apply to individual or small group policies, contracts, or plans, and will not apply to the state employees' health insurance plan until July 1, 2015.




...So if you happen to be under the age of the ten when this passed, you are in luck.  Jimmy and whole bunch of other kids like him: too late for you, you aren't worth helping, you aren't worth medical treatment or care.  The autism lobbyists are trying to pump parents up to call their delegates and I do think early intervention is crucial, but are we going to put an expiration date on children?  I guess all the legislation does to some degree, as treatment is focused on minor children.  Six, eight, ten... it seems arbitrary to me.  I don't think I can support this legislation.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
All our children deserve treatment but please remember "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". HB303 allows for a begining and specifically states that when a child with Autism is being treated and turns ten the bill does not preclude coverage of treatment and services.
Mark

Unknown said...

Rachel:

I understand your concerns. I echo Mark's comments. I'm a parent of two autistic children none of whom would qualify for coverage under this bill. I want what you want but we need to start somewhere. I'm willing to support any legislation that will help anyone's kids, even if they are not my own. I hope you'll reconsider.
John