Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mothers of autistic children make less money...

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.  Rather than give up my career when my son was diagnosed, I was able to continue working, even finish graduate school, during the diagnosis and after.  It hasn't been easy. I realigned my professional ambition from what I wanted to do (be an academic librarian at a college or university) to a job that allowed me to be close to, home for, and generally more available to my children. It was the right thing to do for Jimmy (really both boys) and I have come to love my current setting almost as much as the university, even though they are worlds apart.  

Regardless of where you work, I don't think the mother of an autistic child can continue to work without a completely compassionate employer and supportive colleagues.  I have been extraordinarily fortunate in that regard.  You are on call, for everything for soiled clothing to negative behaviors to reading the tea leaves on illness because the school nurse can't take a temperature on your moving target.  You are also a defacto case manager, coordination education, therapeutic services, medical care, and even sometimes hiring and staffing of long term care.  It's no wonder many women either don't work or don't work to the degree that they would like outside the home.  Motherhood is a full time job for everyone, with an insane level of complexity dictated by your child's situation.      

No comments: