Monday, April 16, 2007

IEP Meeting

I am sure some of you were wondering if I survived it. The answer is yes. We got everything we wanted... consult and direct services are now written into the IEP as well as parent training. The speech language goals are much more appropriate to his disability. The occupational therapy stuff - well, the therapist is fantastic, so we are always well covered there. I finally got a chance to apologize to Jimmy's teacher about all of the drama. I didn't like the Rifton chair, but I hated the way the administration handled the situation after that initial conference. I think some good is coming of the situation, but someone got hurt in the process. I am never going to feel great about that. I think the thing that was most interesting about my IEP meeting is that the principal did not come. I did have the head of special programs, but he always attends.

I also have my pet SEAC cause for next year. I need to convince the city to hire a second speech therapist. The regulations state that they only have to employ one speech therapist for every 68 students served. We have one serving 70. Moreoever, no other district in the area is making the same demands of their therapists. The one I know outside of Manassas Park serves 50 and that keep too busy. When you have children with issues like severe articulation problems, being completely non-verbal, etc..., 20 minutes a week is ridiculous. And no one picks up the slack. Health insurers aren't required to do it (that whole habilitative versus rehabilitative thing again), they pawn it off on the schools which don't have the resources to do it correctly. It's insane. I had these great goals in Jimmy's IEP and I realized that the person who wrote them won't be there at the next meeting. As a matter of fact, I have not had the same speech therapist at Jimmy's annual meeting ever. From one year to the next, it changes.

We have parent training tomorrow night to work on the poop issues. He was playing in it again this evening. I also have to figure out what to do about getting my homework done for Wednesday. My timing is such that I can't take a personal day. Blah.

No comments: