Monday, November 02, 2009

People are asking me how to vote...

...which is just bananas!

I have to admit, I am a little more comfortable with the question do these jeans make me look fat than I am what to do in the voting booth. But because I just can't bring myself to shut up, I answer anyway. The state offices, at least the top two, are relative no brainers. Jody Wagner has reached out to the autism community, really the only candidate to do so. If you are leaning to split your ballot, there's your split. Creigh Deeds, I think there is hope for him in the mandates battle, so I would suggest that autism's interests (mandates, education, etc...) are better served with him. Ditto with Steve Shannon, though the AG has little to do with our interests.

Here's where it get tricky. My heart tells me that Jackson Miller voted against my bill, but my head believes his procedural argument. I am still miffed, but it is more within the personal context of having Jimmy's services screwed with at school and potentially with his waivers and just feeling under siege. It pushed my buttons. At the end of the day, Jackson Miller supported families with autism. He will likely do it again. (And hopefully he will do it a little more to my liking, like getting to the floor and passed.) Educationally, he has the support of the MEA and the VEA, two groups of which I am member as an educator. I may have gotten my panties in a twist, but I do respect the man. This race is always a little weird because I know his opponent too, Jeanette Rishell, and I like her a lot. With the autism thing being discussed this year, it was all very personal to me and Lord knows I don't handle that stuff very well at all. Even keel? Yeah, right...

Bob Marshall. My hero for fighting for families with autism. But I also spoke to his opponent John Bell. He says he will introduce the bill himself to mandate coverage himself if elected. And he'll get it passed. Military guy, very thoughtful and determined and has obviously studied up on autism. I liked him. I am glad I don't live in that district to have to make that choice. It would be an even harder personal choice than Jackson versus Jeanette.

Whoever you vote for, make it out to the polls tomorrow.

No comments: