Friday, June 10, 2011

The Electronic Leash... An Infringement or a Necessary Evil

I heard about Alamo Drafthouse Cinema's PSA on texting and cellphone use during movies. 



While this young lady's delightful attitude obviously helped her get shown the door (and the serving of alcohol at this theater and whichever doorstep she darkened next only served to enhance her mood), I think blanket zero tolerance policies are foolish and designed drive out certain kinds of clients, whether management fully grasps it or not. 

Because of Jimmy's level of need, I always have my cell phone wherever I go.  Even if he is in the care of an attendant, I am legally responsible for him.  If he runs off, I have to be able to contacted immediately.  If he has a seizure or climbs out a window, I have to know.  Really any parent does.  Does the Alamo not allow parents of special needs children to be in contact with their caregivers?  Does Tim League not allow parent of typical kids to text sitters if they can't find the wipes?  How draconian is management about this?  I hear the suggestion that somehow parents should forgo outgoings until kids are older for these sorts of reasons.  But what if you children, for all intends and purposes, aren't going to grow up and leave the nest.  If they require a lifetime of care, does Tim League's policy preclude Austin and other Texas parents of special needs children the ability to see movies in his theaters?  Is this policy, to some degree, discriminatory?  I understand the need for reminders to be respectful of others, but to nanny people to the point that a certain group of people very possibly can't walk through your door seems a slippery slope.

2 comments:

Tim said...

You can answer a text at the Alamo - just do it respectfully - go to the hall, hold it in your purse, hold it down low. If you don't bother your neighbors, you are AOK.

Cheers,

Tim League
founder
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Rachel said...

Thank you for the clarification. There was so much attention paid to this that I felt compelled to address it. Best to you, Tim.