Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer Starts With a Bang...

A week ago, I came home to Chief Evans, one of his officers, and both of my girls in the driveway.  Jimmy had bolted from the yard on one of the ladies.  She lost sight of him and called her bestie for help.  They drove around the neighborhood and called me to report him missing.  I called police, though I was fairly certain that he had gone down to the school.  It wasn't much of a comfort to me, that instinct.  Anything could happen.  Apparently, a teacher caught him down at the school and was bringing him back up the street when the police got to our street and the girls got down it.  It was all over but the crying (me.)  

Elopement, running, is the most dangerous behavior that autistic kids have, in my opinion.  They are dangerous to themselves and have absolutely no appreciation of the risk or any danger they might be in.  Read missing boy story closely, especially ones found drown... often they are autistic.  They had a fascination with the outdoors or water and let themselves out.  It is why Jimmy is so exhausting and needs one on one care.  He's a toddler in a nearly ten year old body who is every bit as smart in many respects.  He just lacks the judgment.  We are switching from a sliding glass to a french door, which has a better lock.  We are on the waitlist for Project Lifesaver and we are finally considering an assistance or therapy dog.  Anything that can help for those hours during the day when I have to shut my eyes.  I fear the night. 

No comments: