Thursday, June 30, 2005

Diagnosis Day

April 12, 2005

Well, we finally got his official diagnosis last Wednesday. My son Jimmy suffers from Pervasive Development Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified, an Autism Spectrum Disorder. According to his doctor, his is mild and high functioning. You would think that it would hurt more than it does. Two things have helped - this has been so long in the offing - the referral was written back last August. The first neurology appointment was in December. I have had months to watch him progress, knowing that as well as he was doing, unless he start spewing out sentences, making eye contact, and becoming the social butterfly of Kindercare, this diagnosis was coming.

I guess the other thing that has kept me from falling apart is just how well he has done. Language is coming, not in fit and spurts like before, but constantly. I think the thing that frustrates me the most is his therapists and teachers see him use more language than I do. Having said that, when he does say something to me, it truly is the most beautiful sound in the world. No one says "elephant" or "cookie" as melodically as my boy.

I spent years in search of true love, running from boyfriend to boyfriend, looking for someone to settle down with, something to make me truly happy. I find it sort of disturbing that my greatest joy and the greatest love (okay, loves) are two tow headed boys, both of whom test my patience, faith in God, and my ability to go without sleep on a daily basis. Even with all the stress of raising kids, one with ASD, they are the one thing in life that if I could do over, I wouldn't change.

No comments: