Thursday, July 28, 2005

Photo Issues

Okay, I have been remiss in posting. Everytime I want to write something about the party, I want to post photos, but I have had a heck of a time getting them uploaded to the blog. So here is the photoless update.

Jimmy's party went really well. It was the usually cast of characters - more adults than kids, but some new faces...

  • The almost year old Jonathan, who attended his first Kirkland birthday. Actually, Jacob took a little bit of an interest in him, which is sort of cool since we have been friends with his parents for so long.
  • Baby James, my friend Amy's four week old, attending his first birthday, period. He slept through most of it.
  • Michael, Jimmy's first real friend. People told me that Jimmy's face lit up when he noticed him walk up to the table.

Of course Molly, Ethan, and Maddie came too. I can always count on Tori to bring her kids. I miss her living in the neighborhood, but it is nice to just be friends, without the neighborhood drama - not really hers or mine, but just the air of drama of others around us and our opinions on it. After I am done with my class and we are back from New Orleans, we talked about going to the fair together in mid-August and going out to her house for a visit at the end of the month. I am really looking forward to it.

Jimmy got some great books, heavy on the fish and whales that he loves so much, cool toys and new clothes. He also got more money for the college fund. He liked the dinosaur cake (I had to totally change the theme of the party stuff two days before because the bakery no longer made Thomas the Train cakes - damn them!!!! :-), but not as much as his brother who managed to cover himself in the frosting. I was just amazed - the frosting was orange and green. He looked like a love child sired by SheHulk and the Thing! He was very happy to have everyone singing to him - for the first time, I think he understood that this was his special day. It was nice. The next day, I got my first normal four word sentence out of him: "I want my book" as he handed me the Dora book for his Leap Pad. He never ceases to surprise me.

He got promoted to the fours class on his birthday at Kindercare and they are encouraging me to potty train him immediately. I really haven't because I wasn't sure how to do it without the language. This one teacher was like, he's a smart kid, he doesn't like to be wet, just slap some underwear on him and let him figure it out. It's worth a try. That is how has bridged every language difficultly - to figure out a way to do it on his own. Why not try it with potty training?

I stayed home sick yesterday as well - partly a quesy stomach, partly the heat, but I did make it out to Jimmy's school to meet the woman who is filling in for the rest of the summer session. Very nice - not Bethany, but very nice and a good fit for the group. When school starts, instead of being one of eight with three teachers, he will be one of two with two teachers. I am really excited about the potential that exists with that situation. Granted, it might be lonely, but for my son and the other child, it could be a huge opportunity to get a lot of new skills with one on one work. I would be perfectly happy if it stayed that way until at least Christmas.

I will give the photos another attempt later today or tomorrow.

No comments: