Tuesday, November 08, 2005

An Afternoon at the Doctor's Office

I took the boys to the doctor's office. Jake was due for his two year checkup and Jimmy was overdue for his shots from his four year appointment (he had been running a fever that day.) All three of us needed flu shots. I nearly teared up when, as I was answering all of the doctor's developmental questions, I realized how many of these I couldn't answer about Jimmy when his appointment. Actually, they never even asked at Jimmy's two year appointment. He screamed through that whole appointment and the NP ran from the room.

That was then... back to Jacob. Today, for the first time, I allowed myself a sense of relief that Jake really is going to be okay. Although Jimmy didn't development in this way, I had heard so much about regression before the second birthday for children who are later diagnosed with autism. Even though he has developed completely normally, I have never taken it for granted that could somehow change.

The pediatrician was very pleased with Jimmy's progress. His articulation today was perfect. He used a few words, played the up/down game with me, and made great eye contact. I was so proud of him. I told him about my trip to Richmond and my plans to visit the school board again in December. The doctor encouraged me to continue to lobby for better insurance coverage for children with autism - he expressed some frustration that his hands are tied by, in this case, the HMO company.

To put a nice cap on the whole afternoon, both boys barely cried for the shots. Neither liked getting them, but they didn't engage in the drama I remember pulling on my mother post shots. Literally, a split second of crying from each. I love my little men.

No comments: