Monday, November 21, 2005

Catching Up

I am sorry I have been so remiss in my posting. My semester is winding down and I am slammed with work. I apologize. A lot has been going on... I will start with Jimmy's IEP meeting today (last Thursday), move to dinner out on Friday, and the weekend over the next three posts.

The IEP meeting took 2 and 1/2 hours. It was not only the annual IEP meeting, but an eligibility meeting for Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy for the schools. We didn't get PT, but we got 30 minutes of direct therapy for OT as well as the 60 minutes direct (30 individual/30 group) speech therapy we get already. We set his goals to the end of the year, when we will meet again to decide about kindergarten promotion. I was pretty clear that I did not want him referred out of the school district for his schooling, that given the increasing number of children receiving ASD diagnoses that every school district should have an appropriate program for children in that community. I will continue to advocate for that and see what happens.

The turn out for the meeting was huge. In addition to the regular cast of characters of teachers and therapist, the head of special programs, the principal, and the vice principal were all in attendance. In addition, Jimmy's therapists from the Matthew Center were both there as well as (to my incredible shock) his teacher and one of the managers from Kindercare. That blew me away. Now everyone will be working together on the goals in his IEP across environments. That's huge.

So that was the IEP meeting... more tomorrow on the rest.

No comments: