Thursday, January 05, 2006

January Fundraiser


When I started this blog, it was pretty much to answer the usual question I got from friends near and far - how's Jimmy doing? With the exception of the occasional Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes rant, I have stuck pretty much to the experience of raising a four year old on the autism spectrum and a very normal two year old. You have all heard me talk about going to Richmond to try to get a bill considered for habilitative care for children like Jimmy, going to legislative town hall meetings to ask that a task force be set up to look at how the state of Virginia can best meet the needs of this growing population of children, going to the school board to ask that the needs of Jimmy and his fellow students be considered as much as any other student's... I want to help all children with autism, yet I am frustrated often because I can't help my own.

In addition to being in an Early Childhood Special Education class, Jimmy receives services from a center call Matthew's Center for Visual Learning. They come into the daycare and home and provide one-on-one therapy and instruction using a method called Applied Behavioral Analysis. These skilled providers don't come cheaply - the rate is $58 an hour. We contract for two to four hours a week, depending largely on what we can afford. The therapist did a recommendation for services stating that he really needs ten hours a week. I can't afford that myself. It's depressing.

When I got today's bill for services, I got a sponsorship commitment letter. Apparently, tax deductible donations can be made to the Matthew' Center can be made to benefit my son. The money would go to pay for the cost of ABA for him. With my head and heart, I believe with 18 to 24 months of these intensive ABA services, he will be able to be in a normal class with some support and eventually not need any support at all. I don't think for one minute he is going to be exactly like everyone else - Lord knows I am not, certainly few in my family would be considered normal - but he would be able to function in school, in society, in life. He'd go to college, get a job, and likely just need a little extra help in getting married off. But he would be okay.

The above link is to a PDF of that sponsorship letter. Please read it, print it off, share it with a friend. Many people do charitable giving over the year to get the tax deduction. All I am asking is, if you would like to, consider giving something small to help Jimmy get the help that he needs. Insurance doesn't cover ABA. I am on my own with this one and need all the help I can to get this therapy for my son. If you give $5 or $50, you don't have to tell me - honestly, I think anyone who knows my son would do this if they could afford to. Not everyone can. I feel so weird in doing this, but I feel like I have to. That it just might help.

Tell your friends... and thank you. Thanks to all my friends who read this to keep up on us - here in Virginia, my UT SIS friends in Tennessee, Georgia, West Virginia and further afield, to my family all over the country, and even to those who don't know us, who have stumbled here quite by accident. I appreciate the interest, support, and ability to vent more than you will ever, ever know.

No comments: