Friday, June 29, 2007

Changing the World...

One bathroom at a time...

This is a funny story. A few weeks ago, the first week Signal Hill's pool was open, my mom and I took the boys there and then over to Walmart for McDonalds and to shop. Jimmy had an accident in the aisle. This was actually the second time it happened. He was terrified of the bathroom - it had one of those sensor devices that flushes a very powerful and loud rush of water when triggered. Like I said, it wasn't the first time it happened, but I was so frustrated, I actually said something to the manager on duty, a guy named Roy. I asked him if they would consider installing a more traditional, less noisy flushing toilet in the family bathroom for Jimmy. He isn't the first autistic child to be scared of a public toilet. Heck, "normal" kids are scared of these things. It's not an uncommon complaint. He said he would talk to the people from corporate. I followed up with him a few days later and he said it was a nonstarter for sanitary reasons. Not like it is sanitary to have my kid peeing in the middle of the store. I decided to press on, figuring it was an ADA issue, at least in my mind, for my child. I didn't know where to begin, but I intended to follow on with it over the summer.

I was in the store again yesterday and approached someone working on the renovation. This woman happened to be from the corporate office. I explained my concerns to her and she gave me the number of the construction manager overseeing the renovation in Arkansas. His name was Cliff. I was surprised that he was very interested and sympathetic to what I had to say. He said he would look into it and probably get back to me after the Fourth of July. Instead, he called today. He tossed it around corporate and basically said that I needed to go back to the store and talk to Tye, the store manager, because he had to be initiated at that level. I cruised back into Walmart during the lunch hour today. I met Tye, who had not only spoken to Cliff but the woman I had spoken to the day before... he had already ordered the toilet. It should arrive in about two weeks and will replace the DeathFlush. I was stunned. I figured it would be this big battle, but they embraced my concerns immediately. I am completely blown away.

If every battle was so easy. Thank you Walmart, especially Cliff and Tye. I am just amazed.

No comments: