Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For my sister Becky...

...who will likely file this under "You never shut up!"

Do your duty: come out and vote on Nov. 6
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Potomac News
Tuesday, October 16, 2007

With the upcoming elections for state office rapidly approaching, I am saddened when I think the vast majority of registered voters will not even take the time to go to the polls. There are those who feel like a single vote won't make a difference or feel that the issues that the candidates are discussing are not relevant to their lives. If that's the case, it is a voter's responsibility to dig deeper.

For a voter like myself -- whose greatest passion and issue is the one that touches my life the most: autism -- getting the answers that are important to me requires more than just reading what arrives in my mailbox. Fortunately, I have found Jeanette Rishell, Delegate Jackson Miller, Bob Fitzsimmonds and State Senator Chuck Colgan more than willing to return a call and talk to me about what is most important to my vote -- the range of needs of autistic children and adults and how to best meet them in the public and private sectors.

All have been gracious, engaged, and attentive. Not one has offered miracles, but they have listened and promised to continue to do just that if elected.

As frustrating as politics can be at times, the right to vote is a gift that many in the world never get. I would encourage people to ask questions of these candidates, think about what is important to you, and vote. Democracy was never meant to be a spectator sport -- please be an active participant on Tuesday, Nov. 6.

No comments: