Monday, October 01, 2007

This election cycle...

Wow, I have had an interesting morning. I called a couple of the local campaigns regarding the whole autism issue. I talked to Chuck Colgan's (incumbent running for State Senate) campaign manager this morning and he is going to talk to him about autism and my concerns about health insurance, education, and respite funding via the waivers. I should hear back from him shortly. I also called Jeanette Rishell's office this morning and should get a call back from her as well - she is running for the House of Delegates. I need to try to get ahold of someone at Jackson Miller's campaign, though he and I have talked about this issue before.

What really amazed me was Bob FitzSimmond, who is running against Colgan. I spent 42 minutes talking to him on the phone. He spent some time on the Community Services Board, so while he doesn't know as much about autism, he was very willing to listen and had a good many ideas. I was kind of impressed.

None of this should be construed as an endorsement, because I am not 100% who I am voting for yet - mostly because of the caliber of candidates. I thought that some of these people just didn't care, but I am impressed by how much they actually do.

I should really get a hobby though... this is what I am doing with my son's sick day. Maybe I will try to clean house or something. I have no life.

No comments: