Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Autistic Toddler Kicked Off Plane

God, this is one of my worst nightmares. I hate travelling with Jimmy. I have flown several times alone with both boys. The only one that wasn't a complete nightmare was an American Eagle flight (in the interest of full disclosure, my brother-in-law works for the airline, though not in an airport) where Jimmy had his medication before flight. While I know I have irritated some passengers in the past, I have encountered more sympathetic types than jerks. Autism has enough of a profile that even if people don't have a clear idea what it is, they have heard of it. Flight crews, especially with some explanation as you are boarding, usually are pretty accomodating as well. American and American Eagle have always taken extra care to make sure that I had enough of everything in the food and drink department (back when such things were complimentary!!) JetBlue's flight attendants were nice enough to watch a sleeping Jimmy and a wakeful Jacob so I could go to the bathroom.

That's not to discount this woman's experience. She and her son were treated horribly. It might have been because of the seatbelt. The only thing they can't budge on, which I understand completely, are the safety issues. Jimmy hates the seatbelt in either the car or the plane. The Angel Guard has made my life much easier in the car. Unfortunately, it won't work on a plane seat belt. He is also too big for the five point restraint of traditional car seat. It would be nice if they had something that was as effective as the Angel Guard on an airline seatbelt.

My biggest challenge is getting through the security line with an autistic son that is mild clausterphobic. I hate the security people at the TSA!!! Talk about lack of understanding and rudeness... Especially at Dulles and National. Oh Lordy!!!

No comments: