Thursday, May 31, 2007

Jacob's First Playdate

We haven't had many proper playdates for Jacob. Sort of a result of the whole all consuming nature of Jimmy's care. But Jacob has a friend at daycare who attends Jimmy's school as a kindergartener. I am taking the two of them to see Shrek 3 on Saturday. I called his mom to set it up. I knew this boy knew Jimmy from school and had made some effort to play with him, enough that he asked me why Jimmy "talked weird." The boy wasn't being mean, he just didn't know how to express what he was thinking. Turns out that he sees Jimmy everyday for "specials" - things like art, music, PE, and the library - as he is part of the class that Jimmy is mainstreamed into for these activities.

Jimmy apparently has a friend too, someone named Dalton. Apparently, Dalton has told Jimmy's therapist that he is Jimmy's best friend. Jimmy yammers on about him too, repeatedly saying his name. Guess I am going to have to try to set them up too. Hopefully, the parents will be game. I always worry about that.

No comments: