Thursday, May 03, 2007

A letter making the rounds...

From a list serve that I am on...

Dear Applebee's,

I write you as a faithful patron of your chain who left the
restaurant feeling discriminated and disgraced as single mother
tonight. I look for Apple bees because the food is reasonable and
it's nice atmosphere. I am single parent and I have a child with
autism. He is four years old and limited verbal his name is Andy.
Time to time I take him to your restaurant in Fountain Valley,
California and we have had a wonderful time.

Tonight I got him out of the car to choose where to eat he ran to
Apple Bees with a smile on his face. This is his favorite place. He
does not understand when food was passing right by him and he had
nothing. When we first sat down I asked the waitress to give us
something as soon as possible. 10 minutes later we got our drinks
and crackers. . . .I was singing to Andy doing everything I could
every time food went by he let out a short yelp. I was pulling out
everything in my bag of tricks I could. Then he calm down.

The manager came to me and told me because of my child he lost
business (boy I felt guilty). I felt as though my heart was being
ripped into two. I try so hard with my son. I told him my son was
waiting for food --chips anything. I apologized and told him my son
does not speak much and has autism and I'm sorry. He came back a
second time and told he was losing more business because of my son.
I had to do something. All my son wanted was drinks something. He
came back told me we had to leave. I'm sorry I told him. This time
every one was looking at us because of the manager kept making a
huge deal and coming to our table. We were yet to get our food. My
heart was sinking and all my son wanted was food! I felt stepped
upon like yesterday's trash.

I had to pull my fifty pound four year old out of his favorite place
in tears. This posed a tremendous safety hazard and was totally
unnecessary. I feel like my heart was smashed in a million pieces.
When we were out the door the manager said "I had to do I have to do
and that I should not take my son out if he is not fit (How is he
qualified to make this comment)." As he plopped a bag of food to go
in my hand.

I take my son out to eat a lot and we have never been kicked out and
disgraced like this. We ate at this restaurant a lot. . . . .He just
a little kid---and if they would brought him food---or drinks---I
could not get him out the door after he ran in because he was at his
favorite place---
I understand why he did what he did but he did not have to be cruel
he could have done it differently ---instead me having to pull him
out in tears. I do not have much money and I try to get my son
positive experiences and take him to places he enjoys I earned a
gift certificate from my work and I took him there for a good time.
I usually can not afford Apple Bees and I take him there as a reward
he lights up so much in the restaurant.

I feel belittled and disgraced and this hurts this truly hurts. I
feel like I have been ran over by a Mac truck. How can I ever take
my sweet my little boy to his favorite place again let alone out to
eat in public again?

A former AppleBees patron

No comments: