Friday, August 29, 2008

Sarah Palin for VP

That's not an endorsement. I was sort of excited when I heard about it. I had really hoped for a woman in one of the top two offices in the land. Then at dinner with DH, he told me that she was a mother with a special needs child, her newborn son. Again, sort of exciting - maybe this woman with McCain (whom I have always liked as a personality and a statesman, even though I don't agree with his politics completely) would be the one to affect change for children with special needs, to fully fund IDEA, to make more Medicaid Waiver funds available to the states to help families struggling in the face of disabilities, to require health insurances to cover autism.

I came home and Googled her. A working mom, I get that. I am one myself. But she didn't take a maternity leave? WTF? Who doesn't take time to spend with their newborn child, to nurse, to bond, to have those precious moments. Women who need to go back to their jobs to support their families - it's sad, but if you are a waitress and not entitled to paid time off, I understand. But this - this is anathma to who I am as a woman and a mother. I am still not that enthusiatic about Barack Obama, but McCain's choice will ensure that I don't have a weak moment and vote for him in November. Maybe I am being harsh, but I just can't understand a woman not wanting to spend a few weeks exclusively with a newborn.

No comments: