Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Autism Votes: The Virginia Primaries

I got mentioned in the Post... an article about autism and Virginia primaries.  I spoke the reporter for about 40 minutes and only had two paragraphs.  When he contacted me, I sent him the great letter that Terry McAuliffe sent me as well the text of my Twitter exchange with Creigh Deeds.  The article points out that Brian Moran has included the coverage issue in his Healthy Virginia plan.  So now I have go read that.  But I am pleased that the journalist decided to address this as part of the primary coverage.  1 in a 150 kids and shrinking by the day.  We need to be heard, for the sake of our children, both those with autism and those without, who will have a fiscal responsibility for this generation of kids for the rest of their lives.  

I was really surprised that this one point that I made with reporter didn't make the article - the next governor of Virginia should have a vision of the future that includes my son.  That's what I told Mr. Kunkle.  What I meant... In health care, in schools, in the workforce, his future is as important as other children, as the needs of our seniors, and anyone in between.  The man I vote for won't have Jimmy as an afterthought or expense, but as Virginian.

No comments: