Saturday, June 06, 2009

A Couple of Big Days...

Yesterday, I took Jimmy to Fredericksburg for his DD Waivers interview.  I have a few things to do, but he should be on the waiting list shortly - and I found out about a separate waiver that will provide some interim support.  The woman who did the evaluation was probably one of the nicest and most knowledgeable state people that I have encountered in my travels.  An absolute pleasure.  Even though our wait will be years long, I am relieved to finally be on the list to get Jimmy and my family more help.

Today, Jimmy and I had the pleasure of going to one of Creigh Deeds' last campaign stops before Tuesday's primary.  DH gave him $25 the other day, the first campaign contribution that he has made in about 15 years.  He really feels that his ability to represent that part of Virginia that isn't Northern/DC area well will serve Democrats better in November than the other two candidates.  Moreover, he really is still bitter about that eight years of Bush, his thinking being that under other DNC leadership, Gore would have won.  I am not sure that is a fair assertion, but I understand his frustration.  I however digress...

I like Deeds' message about making government work for people.  I also appreciate his love of Twitter.  After the article ran in the Post and my comments on my blog, I got this tweet from him...

your son, and others with autism, are not an afterthought to me now; nor will they be when I'm Gov. Everyone must be included

Capitalization and punctuation don't count on Twitter, but I appreciate the sentiment.  I am fairly certain he is getting my vote on Tuesday.  Now to figure out the other primary races.  Incidentally, my neighbor Jeanette Rishell is running again for House of Delegates.  I met her new campaign staff, two young women named Kendall and Alana.  Great girls and it will be great to see them around this year... I think they will do a better job than the last guys, though the incumbent is a great guy who co-sponsored the autism bill earlier this year.  He will be tough to beat.

Tomorrow, we are back to 9am therapy with Krislyn.  Oh my gosh, it's early.  I think we are going to do an outing to IHOP.  They'll be pleased to see us - the management of that store has been very supportive of our outings and it has been quite a while.

No comments: