Monday, June 08, 2009

Primary Redux - My Vote

So I just got my response from Moran's camp regarding the insurance...

What raised the question was my conversation with Creigh Deeds.  Let me start by saying that I am a political novice.  I know that the key to many points is in the phrasing.  And since I don't speak the political language, it is only with thought after the fact that I realized the importance of this point.  

Mr. Deeds is a man who cares about people and does have a lot of sympathy into the plight of families like mine, having a child with a medical diagnosis and therapeutic needs that are not covered by insurance.  He wants to have more availability to the waivers program to help us keep our children in our homes, loved by their families.  When it comes to the insurance issue, he said the market would take care of it.  

Only in time, did I understand what that might mean.  No mandate.  The Post article said: 

"It's just right that it be covered," Deeds was quoted as saying.

He is absolutely right.  It is is the right thing to do.  If you are waiting for insurance companies to do the right thing, you will be waiting a LONG time.  With them, it's the bottom line.  Their bottom line.  Not worrying about the cost of lifetime care or institutionalization shouldered by the taxpayers and families.  

This was the response from Moran's camp when I raised that point:

"On the private insurers mandate for autism, the private market will definitely not take care of it. If the market were to work with regards to this issue, it would have done so already. There is a market failure here because, the private insurers don't want to cover any more than they have to and they have a very powerful lobby.  Brian believes that we are morally obligated to help families like yours and that is why he is committed to the private mandate. I hope that this email has answered your questions and that we can earn your vote tomorrow!"

With that, I think he just did.  

I appreciate what I have learned in quizzing these campaigns.  I am not going to be disappointed with whoever goes forward tomorrow.  I find it sort of ironic that the one I didn't personally speak with is getting my primary vote.  Moran's main policy piece addresses my issue in the way I would like to see this state go forward.  This staffer who I have been exchanging with (never sure who wants their name on a blog, so I am not mentioning it) is just so knowledgeable.  I hope to God he is going to Richmond with him.  

But yes, tomorrow I am voting for Brian Moran, with the hopes that he will go forward to improve the lives of all Virginians.  Including those who are living with autism.

No comments: