Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Day One of the First Three Month Drive

I saw Shivi yesterday... our schedule is set. We have managed to put together four days a week of therapy for Jimmy, plus an hour a week of in-home parent training. We got two sponsors, one of whom is a colleague from UT (I love the people I go to school with - many of them I have never met, yet they have been a constant sources of support and inspiration), the school system kicked in some funding, as did Jim's parents. Some of the goals for the next three months...

  • Increased receptive language, in terms of taking direction and conversation.
  • Increased expressive language, including building more sentences.
  • Attending through an activity, such as snack time (i.e. sitting still and eating, rather than walking around with his cookie.)
  • Respecting physical boundaries and turn taking (sharing, not stealing other people's food, etc...)

It will be interesting to see with this increased effort how much we can do in 90 days. The school evaluates their contribution each 90 days, so I hope to show them a return on their investment in Jimmy. I am excited and a little nervous about the prospect.

No comments: