Sunday, February 12, 2006

Letting Go of a Dream

Michelle Kwan has been my favorite skater since she placed second in the 1992 Nationals. No one had idea what she would become to the figure skating - the most decorated champion in this sport since Sonia Henjie. An Olympic gold medal seemed to be a given twice, and yet missed the goal on both occassions. I was looking forward to her third try, practically holding my breathe to see if her injuried body would heal in time for her to compete on the 21st. Would she pull it together and pull the biggest upset in the history of the sport. Sadly, I woke up this morning to find it not be.
Some say her exit would have been more graceful if she had never petitioned on to the team, never made the trip to Torino. She wouldn't have been the athlete I have admired for so many years had she not tried. An Olympic dream may have died today, but in my estimation, a graceful hero was born.

No comments: