Friday, September 01, 2006

Follow up from last night

So I talked to the head of Special Education. I sent him essentially what I posted yesterday, with some stuff added. He asked me to call. For the record, these people generally are very nice and compassionate. I reiterated my concerns and he attempted to reassure me. My proposal regarding the partnership has essentially been back burnered because they were told to cut $800K from the school budget because the assessments in Manassas Park were not as much as expected. The new teacher has a ringing endorsement from last year's teacher, an endorsement that obviously means nothing to me. He said if I was unhappy after a few weeks, we could talk. He didn't elaborate, but I think that means if I am unhappy, we can look at moving him to the next closest appropriate program outside of Manassas Park. Which might actually be Manassas, where I am working. Even though it wouldn't be my school, I don't want him in the same system where I am working. I am very different as a professional and librarian than I am as a mother. I don't want one spilling into another.

I feel a little better. Now I have to show up on Tuesday night to meet this new teacher. And I now have to start in on the local school board and the Governing Board trying to get this moved forward, money or not.

No comments: