Friday, April 03, 2009

So I am watching Larry King with Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey...

I think I am finding the whole panel on both sides annoying. I appreciate the work that Jenny McCarthy has done in raising awareness, but I think the singular focus on vaccines reduce the funding available to other causes and environmental triggers to the genetic component. When every discussion on autism devolves into a debate about vaccines, it depresses me, like there is no hope for better treatments or cures for Jimmy. I think there is a genetic component and an environmental trigger - saying there is an autism shot is an oversimplification.

(Oh, and Dr. Bernadine Healy comes off as entirely too smug on TV. She needs some media coaching, because she smiles too much and comes off as condescending. It's offensive.)

No comments: