Thursday, April 02, 2009

We're not dead...

I know it has been a long time between posts. I don't think I have ever had a break that long. March was a completely overwhelming month. The school board stuff kicked my butt mentally, I had strep, an ear infection, and a sinus infection - all at the same time. Jimmy got a urinary tract infection and head lice. DH continues to have back problems from the car accident. Jacob is the only one to weather the storm. I apologize for my absence.

We had Jimmy's IEP meeting yesterday - I can't believe it was scheduled on April Fool's Day. I was able to maintain all of his services next year. Sadly, we are going forward without his teacher, who is moving back home to Pittsburgh. I would have been lost without Ms. Harris (who am I kidding - she's Allison to me) the past two years. As sad as I am to lose her, I am intrigued by what she is doing next - vocab rehab sounds like where she is going. Instead of working with kids now, she is going to help create a future for them as this Autism Generation ages into adulthood. Without vocational opportunities, when these kids age out of education at the age of 22 (under IDEA I believe), so many take up residence on the couch. Allison is going forward to create opportunity for children with special needs in adulthood. For that reason and so many others, she goes with my blessing, love, and respect. She has truly been amazing.

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. Of course, I will post a few stories, but I think it gets a month in the US. I am doing my best to honor it here in Manassas by having a fundraiser to support Matthew's Center for Visual Learning at Noodles & Co. on Liberia Ave. on April 28th from 5-9 p.m.. Noodles gives a sizable donation based on sales, so I would love to see everyone there.

I promise to get back on track with this. Now that the summer is becoming a light at the end of the tunnel that is the school year, I really hope to do some work on video with Jimmy and other fun blog stuff. Hey, I get Spring Break next week. I should be good for at least that much.

No comments: