Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My misadventure with Catoctin Popcorn Co.

So, I am a little mad at an online company, Catoctin Popcorn Co., and I feel the need to vent. 

I have a thing for kettle corn.  I shouldn’t, but I do.  DH often sends me shipments from this company with great kettle corn, Catoctin Popcorn Co. and it has been appreciated.  They always arrive at my work and are devoured by myself and a fortunate few friends.  If I was reviewing the product, there would be no problem.  It's good stuff.

One of my nieces in Texas has pneumonia, so DH tried to do something sweet and send a basket down to her.  I stood behind him at the computer and watch him type in and verify the address in Texas.  He put his credit card in and hit send.  No worries, right?

Well, guess what arrived at my office today.  “Feel better soon!” the card read.  What the bleep am I going to do with this?  When the heck am I going to have time to take this to the post office?  I called Catoctin Popcorn Co. and the owner Brian Casey answered the phone.  I explained what had happened, to see if I could get an explanation as to why since I watched DH put in the answer correctly.  He offered to fax me to order to prove that the address on his form was where it shipped.  That wasn’t the point, especially since I watched what was entered on my end. 

I am sure this could be easily dismissed as our stupidity if I hadn’t watched the whole thing with my own eyes, the correct information going into the computer.  We are repeat customers.  I know it isn’t clearly Catoctin’s fault, but you know, it isn’t clearly our fault either from where I am sitting.  I am thinking he might want to take a good look at his website to make sure this doesn’t happen again, but I am not holding my breath.  I am not saying he was rude or anything – Brian certainly was not at all.  I was upset at little, but I wasn’t rude either.  I just told him we wouldn’t be ordering with him again.  He didn’t seem particularly worried about that. 

That kind of shocked me, you know.  I have fifteen years in retail and DH used to own a small business.  I was trained that the customer was always right and the last thing you wanted was an angry customer, even if they were to blame to some degree.  I saw DH go out his way to make a customer happy.  Since I saw the address go in correctly, I think I am in the right here.  Even if he thought I was in the wrong, he should have acted concerned and I just didn't get that.  As a repeat customer, he should have thrown me a bone.  I guess that philosophy and pride in excellent customer service is dead and gone.  In my experience today, that isn’t the service philosophy of Catoctin Popcorn Co..  It’s too bad… their kettle corn was awesome.

I just spent $11.95 sending this stuff to Texas at the post office.  I feel like I have the right to complain and take my business (and DH's) elsewhere.  Any suggestions for a new kettle corn source? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try Little Kettle Popcorn Co., I think they are in Colorado. We got some as a gift a year ago and it was great.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the tip... I found their websitehttp://www.littlekettle.com/online.html and their prices seem to be decent, so I will likely place an order shortly. :)