Monday, May 11, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

At least, they are Jimmy's.  

Jimmy's obsession with brown food is sort of an ongoing thing, so I thought while I wait for him to drift off, I would share a few of his favorite things.

Chicken Nuggets - I was talking with his therapist and she said she has never encountered an autistic kid who wasn't obsessed with chicken nuggets.  I would concur.  Here prefers McDonalds above all else, though I am getting "I want Burger King" because he knows the Star Trek toys are there*.  (He is sleeping the Zachary Quinto/Spock action figure, but I digress...) Going out to a place that doesn't offer chicken nuggets or strips is pointless, unless it's...

Pizza - Domino's sort of rules this one, as he is a little persnickety in the crust department.  He likes Pizza Hut and I wish I could sell him on it as a standard, as I love their thin and crispy.  Domino's has cheesy bread, which is more gold and less brown, yet still an obsession.  Pizza Hut needs to get something comparable to the glory that is Cheesy Bread.

Chips Ahoy/Oreos - Thank heaven's for Nabisco - you can get them big or small, but the boy loves them.  The only thing that sucks is you can't get them at Costco in the single serving minivan bags, where I usually get Famous Amos (but they were out last time...)

Fritos - This child loves Fritos.  Not any other corn chips, Fritos.  To be honest, he is the same way about Cheetos.  You can't run an Utz past him... this boy knows the difference and accepts no substitutes (if Frito Lay needs an autistic product poster boy, I have got your boy.)

Chocolate Milk - yep, it's brown too.  And Miss Harris gets it down him every single day, God love her.

I wish I could say that there was a fruit or vegetable on this list.  There isn't.  I can get the occasional juice down him or a Dole's fruit cup with his beloved Cheerios.  That's it.  With the advent of gummy vitamins (Scooby Doo's are the chosen ones with both boys), I can at least get that down them.  



* As cool as the Star Trek toys are, I am pissed as hell at Burger King for ditching Cinnaminis.  I loved them and was extremely bitter when I found out Saturday that they were off the menu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rach! James is with Jimmy on the chicken nuggets (but only the really yucky soft kind that look like breaded, regurgitated "meat"). He doesn't eat any other meat. His therapist says it is common for kids who have feeding problems/oral motor issues to avoid it. Thank goodness for cheap, generic "chicken" nuggets. --Amy