Thursday, September 22, 2005

Jake with Elmo and Jimmy and the doctor



Another from Sesame Place... Jake really loved seeing Elmo again. If it were just an hour and a few less toll booths closer, I would buy a season pass. It's a really fun theme park...

Jimmy's appointment - nothing really changed. He is hesitant to affix a permenent label to him, but autism would the one of his choice (as opposed to PDD-NOS.) In his case, it is more semantics rather than actual functioning level - cognitively high, poor social and communication. I still believe that it will improve with time and work. It's all still hard to deal with. I was in tears in front of the computer when I was in Dr. Bill's class Tuesday. Between that and my cable cutting out repeatedly, I have to listen to the playback because I got nothing from it one Tuesday.

The doctor did start him on Tenex. Although not FDA approved for this particular use, it is fairly commonly prescribed for impulse control and to a lesser degree hyperactivity. The underlying theory is if you have these things in check, focus will improve. We're only two days in now, so there is really no way to tell how it's going. The principle side effect is drowsiness and, well, he seems to be sleeping better.

It's been a looong week and I still have a day to go... And it's just the boys and me tomorrow night. Fun fun. Nah, I like hanging out with them... Just a little hard to go out with them.

No comments: