Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I Love Public Education

So, I found out through the rumor mill that Jimmy's Early Childhood Special Education program had been moved from Cougar Elementary, on our side of town, to Manassas Park Elementary, on the other side of town. From a regular school building to a temporary trailer at the other school. I sent the entire school board an e-mail on Friday night when I found out. It is just ridiculous to me that a decision was made in mid-July and no formal notifications has been given to the parents a mere two weeks before school begins. The school starts and ends at earlier times - I still have no idea when the bus will be coming. I have to coordinate his schedule with his daycare and his speech and behavioral therapist - nothing exists in a vacuum in my world. I am really quite peeved at the lack of regard that the school has shown towards my child and my family. I talked to the new principal, who seems confident about the move and the placement in trailers. Overcrowding at the Kindergarten level over at the other school, blah, blah, blah. MPES has 4th and 5th graders in the school building and I am guessing the Pre-K and ECSE in the trailers. (Am I the only one who sees the wisdom moving the third grade over and keeping Pre-K and ECSE in the school with secure building?) He seemed surprised when I said my autistic son liked to open doors and escape rooms - roaming the hall is one thing, the potential to leave school grounds is quite another. I have somewhat resigned myself that I can't change this move occurring, but I am not done complaining about it. I have not yet begun to bitch at these folks.

No comments: