Wednesday, August 31, 2005

New Orleans

I am nearly obsessed with coverage of the devastation in New Orleans and Biloxi, having just been there recently. To the point that it is now unhealthy. I just had a mild panic attack. It must be some sort of weird survivors guilt. I was just there - now the city's underwater, people are dead, and more are going to die because we aren't doing enough. Looters - fine. Send in the special forces. That would put an end to it really quickly. I am sick about it to the point that my hands are shaking as I type this.

I am attempting to do something. I am donating money to the Red Cross. I have started a collection for a women in my sister's office who is sheltering nineteen of her family members from New Orleans in her one bedroom apartment in Dallas. 19 people, including three teens and a four year old. They've already been enrolled in school in Dallas. These people have no home to go back to.

I grieve for New Orleans - a beautiful city with a gracious people. I grieve for those who died and those who are going to die because our government has failed them. I think we are plunging into a very dark period in this country where our country is about to fail all of us.

No comments: