Monday, July 03, 2006

Jimmy's First Teacher

We had a brief visit today with Jimmy's first teacher Bethany. Two of the other moms, who have kept in better touch with her than I have (sadly), invited us over to a small get together. She is living overseas with her husband currently. I had told Jimmy once or twice that we were going to see her, thinking that it was unlikely that he would make the connection. He was initially more curious about the new place than seeing his former teacher again, but by the end of the visit, he said her name a couple of times. He cried for about 20 minutes after we left.

It was wonderful for me to see her as well. She was one of the first people to really give me hope about Jimmy's future. That hope is still somewhat unclear, the future still seems more undetermined for him than most children (not that you can know a lot about someone's future at the age of five, but I can still have hope and think of his future, autism or not. That is Bethany's lasting gift to us both.

I am off to bed. Happy Fourth of July!

No comments: