Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Big Goodbye

Well, after four and a half years, I am leaving my job today. As of tomorrow, I will get more time off, more money, and I will have a shorter commute and my first professional position (understanding the distinctions within the library profession), but I am very sad to be leaving. I attended Mason for my undergrad, but never had the experience of being a full time student during the day. I think working on campus for the past few years has given a taste of that experience I would not have had otherwise.

I will miss seeing my friends every day. I am going to miss this campus. It's a fun place and this was an especially memorable year with the Final Four. I am going to miss my student assistants, some of the best kids I have had the pleasure of meeting. I should do so well as to have my boys turn out like John D. or Jeff C.!!!

But... I am not going to miss my commute. The time that I will be saving will be spent going to the gym. I am not going to miss dragging myself in here on icy mornings - I'll take that two hour delay. I am not going to miss being a paraprofessional - at least not right now! More money, more time, doing something I truly believe in. And it's not like I am never coming back - I will have to take some classes in the near future to keep my job. George Mason will always be home - just not as much as it is now.

I feel pretty fortunate today.





Goodbye Mason. Thanks for a great 4+ years!

No comments: