Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Poverty continued: the math

I figured it out. When the school year starts, I will pay $313.70 a week for Jimmy's afterschool (at a premimum because he isn't potty trained) and Jacob's full time daycare. Once Jacob is three and toilet trained, his rate drops, so the combined rate for the two is $298.70. Once Jimmy learns to use the potty, he pays the standard afterschool rate and my weekly bill drops to $259.10. The difference overall is $54.60 a week. That doesn't include the $25 a week in diapers, folks.

Do not get me wrong. I am completely grateful that Childtime can accomodate us and they are doing a wonderful job with him. Jacob really misses Mia and Nelly, but Jimmy transitions so much better there. He walks right into the room and doesn't shed a tear. I still resent the fact that Kindercare left me feeling like I had to move, ultimately to a more slightly expensive daycare, and that the toileting issue makes such a difference in the rate.

No comments: