Saturday, August 05, 2006

Surviving Week One

Week one of Childtime has come and gone. Jimmy is happier. Jacob is coming along. On Thursday, we were finally notified that legal signed off on Jimmy and we were permanently enrolled. It is a huge relief. I still have to sign a waiver that spells out that if he is a risk to others with appropriate notice. It's not a big thing - certainly better than the policy that was stated to me by Kindercare that it could be done with no notice. I couldn't function under those terms without worrying. This is an improvement, but I still believe that it shouldn't be such a big deal.

Jimmy's IEP meeting was on Thursday. It was the triannual meeting as opposed to the yearly meeting. The biggest change is I let them include the autism diagnosis, switching the educational label from Developmental Delay to Autism. I know plenty of parents are wary of making such a change, but I look at him and I can't deny that is what he is. We didn't get here from neurology or mercury, but if you look at his symptoms, it's correct. Could that diagnosis change when he gets older? Sure, anything is possible. If that ever happened, I would fight to have it removed. But it is completely appropriate now and the forseeable future. They put some additional services in his IEP as well, so it felt like a win.

Next week is my last full week in my job. I have a lot to clean out in my cubicle. I am still reading up for my new job, still excited, still nervous. Time seems to pass so quickly these days.

No comments: