Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Childtime

As you can see from the photos, the birthday party was a big success. Everyone had a great time. Jimmy's birthdays are always more adults than kids, but he liked the Thomas cake. We actually got Jimmy a cookie cake to eat, since he won't eat real cake.

The bigger news this week has been the transition to Childtime from Kindercare. Jimmy's doing well for him. It has become very obvious from the reports from his therapist about his separation issues that the problem was the teacher. By all reports, she was frustrated with him - he was becoming increasingly upset when the therapists left and the teacher did nothing to comfort him. I am angry - from the pit of my stomach, in a way that I have never been angry before, I am angry at that teacher. I am also angry at myself for not recognizing why my child was so upset. This is the first time in life that I have honestly felt like I truly failed him. Yeah, it was their disability policy and the way the center was interpreting it, but ultimately it became a decision because Jimmy wasn't happy.

So, I moved him. And his brother. Away from a bunch of other Kindercare who we really loved - Mia most especially, but Nelly, Juana, and Carmen as well. Those women shed tears when we left - I have shed many the past several days as well. I feel like I have taken Jacob away from everyone he has known and love to make sure Jimmy is happy. It doesn't seem right and I feel lousy about it.

We've moved. My only complaint with the new center is I still don't know that Jimmy is officially accepted yet. We are still waiting to hear from their corporate office. I have been working on this for over a week. Why does it have to be so hard? Why does everything have to be so difficult because of the word "autism?"

No comments: