Sunday, November 11, 2007

Losing Jimmy... and the Baddest Man on the Planet

Well, this morning started out badly... I briefly lost Jimmy at church. We arrived for his respite program and waited in a long line of other parents. Jacob was entertained by a service dog named Mason, but Jimmy was out of control, not wanting to wait. I put him on my shoulders, toted him around, held his hand. Anything to keep him entertained. When we arrived at the check in desk, he bolted to the back classroom area. Someone said, "He'll be fine." I paid my fee and went back to find that he had vanished into thin air. I yelled for him, yelled to see if anyone had him, and got no response. I looked at the back door - which immediately has another door to the parking lot. I was running on back and forth, calling his name and crying. Someone ran out the back to the parking deck. No sign of him. Finally he was found in a classroom. I have officially lost both my children at one point or another and it is truly the worst feeling I have ever known. I held him so tightly when I got ahold of him. I am starting to realize though that I am so overwhelmed by the both of them together that it limits where I can go and what I can do. Jacob will improve with age, but the next few years will be rough.

Tonight finished with an MMA event called the Baddest Man on the Planet. You could call it one of the craziest nights of my life. My husband writes for this website that covers mixed martial arts (think UFC, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell) and we got free tickets to this local event. A bunch of local guys came for the fight. The fighter that my husband interviewed earlier this week Matt, was on the card. Matt's opponent didn't show up for the fight, so they put out a call among the dojos in the back to see if anyone at 205 was willing to fight. There wasn't, so he bounced out of the back room to check with Steve, on of the guys who came to the show with us. Steve trains MMA and has had some amateur fights/sparring matches. It was an amateur event, so Steve thought he should consider it. He pulled Steve away from buying a hot dog and took him back to the promoter.

Next thing you know, he is taking the the fight. They give him gear to use, The other guy from the board Chivo corners him, the whole nine yards. They introduce him with an acknowledgement of pulling him out of the crowd essentially, so the crowd was definitely pro-Steve. The trade one or two shots, Steve threw this great kick, and after that it is all a blur.

He got KOed and he says he can't move. At an event like that, they put him on the board and load him on the ambulance to the ER as a precaution. I was sort of bummed that he was fighting, because I was looking forward to talking to him between fights. Turned out we had plenty of time to chat between x-rays. It all worked out. He's fine, though, and on his way home. His wife has even forgiven him for doing it, I think.

It was sort of insane all the way around. But it was really nice to finally meet Steve and Chivo as well. A lot of fun. This was the second time I have seen someone I know step into the ring. But after KC and now this, I don't think I can ever watch another e-friend step into the ring. My stomach is still in knots.

At least he is going to have a great story for work on Tuesday.

No comments: