Thursday, July 17, 2008

Amanda Peet: Open Mouth, Insert Foot

She called parents who don't vaccinate their kids parasites.  Whoops.  Not that I am of the vaccine school of thought, but it was still an ugly comment for Amanda Peet to make.  Of course, she apologized for it - in her apology, she made a lot of sense.  Noting the 14 studies conducted on autism and vaccines, all failing to find a link between the two.

"How many more studies do we need to conduct on vaccines, before we start re-channeling our efforts and money towards research on autism?"

Since I believe that over prescription of antibiotics is a more likely culprit in our case than vaccines would be, I would rather the time and energy be focused on finding a treatment or cure to improve his life, rather than participating in class actions suits and finger pointing.  I guess that is ugly of me to say, but I have found that sitting the non-vaccine pews of church can be very lonely and isolating.  I am tired of hearing about vaccines.  I want to know more about the recent synaptic study, the potential of gene therapy to remap the brain, things that may give me a child that won't run out into traffic because he doesn't want to go to Red Lobster, or can hold a conversation with me or his brother.  That's what I want.  Maybe after this little incident, Amanda Peet will want it to and give time and energy to help Jimmy and other children with autism.

No comments: