Sunday, August 02, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine Contains What????

I will start by saying that I am not a big Jenny McCarthy devotee, not a big vaccine believer... I think the onset of Jimmy's autism was marked by his ear infections and his frequent prescription of antibiotics, if anything. Though Jimmy wasn't diagnosed when Jacob's immunization schedule began, I knew that more than likely he was autistic and had read pretty extensively on vaccines. Since I knew Thimerosol had been removed from the vaccines for the most part and had other thoughts regarding Jimmy's onset, I opted to vaccinate. Jacob is a healthy five year old child. I have no regrets about making that decision as a parent.

I am appalled, given the potential severity of an outbreak in the schools, that a vaccine was developed for this H1N1 outbreak with Thimerosol. I have sworn up, down, and sideways that I would make sure both boys got their H1N1 vaccinations. They always get their regular flu shots, as do I (a history of respiratory infections puts me in a high risk category.) But I now have a little fear. From the CBS interview, previewed below, I am honestly wondering if Kathleen Sebelius' head in merely in the sand or if it shoved firmly up her... you get the idea:

Couric: Thimerosol, a preservative which was taken out of childhood vaccines a while ago, because there was fear it could be linked to autism, is being used in some batches of the H1N1 vaccine. Are you concerned that will keep some parents from having their children vaccinated?

Sebelius: Well, we want to make it clear that this is a voluntary vaccination program. But study after study, scientist after scientist, has determined that there really is no safety risk with thimerosol. There is concern about parents of why autism rates are rising. And, as you know, we've got some special NIH studies, thanks to the president, focused on just what is going on.


Unless there is a better option, I think you will see a large number of autistic children that are sickened by the flu outbreak out of fear of this vaccine. Was adding Thimerosol really necessary?

No comments: