Monday, December 17, 2007

Autism Study Lends Credence to 'Fever Effect'

"For the first three years of his life, Rene Craft's son, Jackson, communicated primarily through screaming tantrums. He never spoke. He didn't point to things. He didn't make eye contact. He had the classic signs of severe autism.

Then a couple of years ago, Jackson got sick. His mother, Rene Craft, says he was running a high fever.

"He was lying in our bed, and he was recovering," Craft says. "And he said out of the blue, 'I like the sheets, Daddy. They're really comfortable.' And then later that day he looked out the window and he said, 'Oh, it's raining, and squirrels eat nuts."

Craft says that she and her husband got a brief glimpse of a son who had been locked in his own world of autism. Then the fever went away, and so did Jackson's improvement."

This is an interesting article. Thanks to Edwin for sending it to me. I am going to go to bed finally. Maybe I will dream about what he would say to me if he could. He has thoughts, ideas, even a sense of humor and its all locked up inside. I long for a day when it will all come out.

No comments: