Thursday, December 06, 2007

Meeting with Jimmy's Teacher

I had my first lengthy one-on-one meeting with Jimmy's teacher. When you are dealing with a cast of a dozen characters in helping and educating your son, direct face time is scarse. It is also the most valuable thing you can have.

Allison is amazing. It is her first year teaching, yet that doesn't scare me. I think initially she was overwhelmed, but this is now her life and passion. I honestly think she wouldn't have it any other way. It can be so hard to be Jimmy's mom sometimes - I carried that boy inside me for nine months. I have loved him more fiercely than I have loved anyone in my life. I need to know the people who I turn him over too for so much of the day love and believe in him.

I have always felt that Mr. Booty (the instructional assistant) believes him and now I know Allison does too. I am thrilled. She is anxious to continue consult and working with his therapists, which I think is great. I walked out of there for the first time this year really confident in his school situation. That helps me get through everything else I have to do with my day personally and professionally. It's huge.

No comments: