Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Twenty Years

When I got home last night, Jim told me that my best friend from high school, Christine, had called and had left me a message: her mom died. She left her sister's cell phone number, so once I got the boys settled, I called. It was unexpected, appears to be a heart attack, they were on the way back home. I remember her mom very well and liked her a lot. Christine and her sister seem to be beating themselves up about it - I hope they can get past that. I love them both too much for that and I am just sort of wrapped up emotionally right now, feeling for them in their time of grief.

But the phone, as sad as it was, reminded me of the joy of long standing friendships, where no matter how far apart you are geographically or how long you go between phone calls and visits, the basics never change. The pain I feel right now for Christine is as real as it would have been twenty years ago if it happened when I lived close by. Just now, I want to get on a plane. I know it isn't practical, but I want to go and hug her. It is a privledge and a blessing to have someone with whom you share a twenty year friendship. I guess its one of the perks of getting older.

Christine, I am so sorry about your mom. She is in my thoughts and prayers, as are you, Michelle, and Lorelei. Friends are the family you choose for yourself. You and Michelle will always be my sisters and that baby is another niece. I love you all. R.I.P. Dottie. Thank you for your girls - they mean the world to me.

No comments: