Friday, October 31, 2008

Another week is over...

It's almost 10 pm and Jacob is tearing around the house, jacked up on sugar. He had a good Halloween. Jimmy hates to trick-o-treat, so it is principally a Jacob holiday. Given that his birthday party is tomorrow, he is pretty much behaving like an overstimulated, insufferable twit at the moment. You can threaten to cancel the birthday, but after you have sent out the invites, momentum is not on your side. Do you really want to be known as the parent who called and cancelled her kid's birthday?

It is amazing when you can look at a calendar and see a two week holiday break coming in the not too distant future. I need it. Except for the part where I will have Jacob the whole time. I wish I could screw up the nerve to give him a lump of coal as an object lesson. My friend Carol tells me that there are good ages and bad ages with kids. Four was a bad age for Jacob. But four was also so three days ago! It's over! I want to wave a wand and say "You are a good boy now!" Why doesn't it work that way?

No comments: