Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Survived...

I am alive. I came out of sedation okay, just a little teary. I was jolted back to consciousness when I heard the word polyp. I don't know if they were talking about it or I asked about their findings in my haze, but that was the word I sort of feared. In the past two years, they have found six precancerous polyps in my younger sister in two separate exams. My last exam was clean, so I really was hoping I was going to dodge the bullet of genetics and find an ulcer or something.

That was not to be. I am extremely sore because they took quite a few biopsies to continue to look for the source of my discomfort, more likely related to something in the lining of my colon like microbial colitis or irritable bowel syndrome. They will also attempt to determine if Miss Pretty Polyp is malignant or benign. So instead of answers, I get another two weeks to wait.

Intellectually, I understand statistics are in my favor regarding whether what they find is cancer, even with my family history. Emotionally, it's a hell of thing to wait on. I am Mrs. Worse Case Scenario and a tad bit of a Drama Queen. In my mind, the worst thing they could have found today was a polyp. They did. It sucks.

No comments: