Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Indignities of Therapy

Okay, I have kind of kept quiet on one of my biggest life stressors - Jimmy's therapy schedule - for fear of appearing ungrateful.  I am pleased for the level of help my son is getting.  I have worked hard to secure it for him.  But let me tell you what having nine hours of therapy a week for your child is like.  It's nine hours out of a life that has 40 to 50 hours a week cut out of it for work already.  Juggling it wouldn't be so hard if the "professionals" (and I am using the term loosely) working with my child actually got me a schedule in a timely fashion.  Getting January's schedule on New Year's Night isn't helpful.  It does beat the heck out of the months I received no schedule at all.  I guess that schedule would have also been better received if it had been correct (they scheduled him for 11 hours when he only gets 9) and if they had asked about our weekend availability before they scheduled him every single weekend.  We got the schedule straightened out, at least I thought we did until I got a phone call saying that the therapist wasn't going to be there at 3:30, she would come at 4:15.  

When your child has autism, I guess the people working with you expect it to be your life.  Is that healthy?  I don't know, but it certainly isn't fair for Jacob, who I can't even sign up for soccer or swimming lessons this spring simply because I don't know from week to week what schedule the lead therapist is going to present or rescind.  Try to live your life at the whim of others.  It sucks.  

No comments: