Thursday, January 03, 2008

Mommy, is your butt going to get smaller?

Jacob wanted me to drive him through Dunkin Donuts this morning.  I explained that I couldn't, that I was working on eating less and exercising more so I would lose weight.  Since I realized that wouldn't register for a four year old, I said I was trying to get smaller.  He asked if my butt was going to get smaller.  Nice.  

I did go ahead and rejoin Weight Watchers last night.  The longest I have ever stayed on the program is five months.  I am going to try for the year this time.  I haven't made it to the gym yet, but that will probably get added this weekend.  That is a hard one to schedule for me.  Wish me well.  

Speaking of schedules, Jimmy's psych eval was rescheduled to next week.  The doctor got strep.  I know that if you work with kids, these things happen.  Anyway, I did get to talk to her a bit.  At the recommendation of his therapists, we are going to ask her to recommend her someone here in town who could work with us on medication to address the hyperactivity and his emerging OCD tendencies.  He has to take the steps every other step going up or down a flight.  He insists on having the purple Venom first in his Spiderman fruit snacks.  He has some highly ritualized stuff going on now, things that never really were apparent before.   It was a trait of autism that I thought we had dodged when it didn't show up in his initial evaluations at Children's.  I guess that I never thought of autism as something that evolved over time - I though that he had the symptoms at diagnosis would be the only ones we dealt with and that the work would be to shed the symptoms.  Things change, I guess.  

No comments: